Saturday, December 25, 2010

Teflon tyranny: The hidden cost of self defense

Comments (0)

Einstudieren keeps popping a character politics and history, and bother. Here its main features are:

1. He believes he knows what to do each.

2. He considers it his mission to do for everyone get.

3. It is 100% confident in this faith and mission.

(4) It is also 100% convinced that he has taken his conviction and mission in his gut.

Combine them, and you're someone who the is full license his bowel impetus towards everyone else's business follow-up issued. Such people can be very charismatic. And wreak havoc. Many bullies past and present had these skills.

I asked psychiatrist if there is a diagnostic category covering this suite features. You can talk about related concepts: psychopathy (hurting no remorse for others, but not driven by a sense of a moral imperative), schizophrenia (agree to obey but usually not on a moral crusade), narcissism (self-centered but not necessarily a campaign to others, different behavior get). Quite cover it none of these. Megalomania is not diagnostic category.

100% Confidence in your good makes you feel like a Saint, sinner. Is the pathological? A psychiatrist told me, "with language that devalues your opponents and idealized itself not a sign of psychopathology-it is quite normal and not pathological and is in fact almost universal."

This is a telling point. People often distract feedback and criticism. You we do it so often that we forgive each other this common and natural human weakness. We humor each other. We refuse feedback to know that it is value usually don't bother. If you give it, it'll you divert so that it makes no difference anyway ends. Or you're going to retaliate, and (being somewhat disabling us) why would we want that?

Or, as some say "never rings with a pig-the pig likes it and you dirty." No, it is safer and children make only people place. Besides, what the cost cutting people this is much slack?

There is actually a hidden cost. To illustrate, imagine that our credibility, status and performance depends on how we each written tests we take once in a week. Less errors, the higher our status, credibility and makes.

I take these tests and if I you get back some of my answers are incorrectly marked. When I see a red X on my test I wince at the loss of status, credibility and makes. I hate wincing, but of course wincing inspired practice and practice makes for improvements.

Still, maybe it's something much easier than practicing maybe it's a way, to streamline the results, so I can stop wincing at those red x's on the tests. Maybe should you bother me, because you really OK. The test grader I made a mistake. Perhaps the test grader is biased.

Or maybe x's are bad. Finally, you can be daunting. We need to think positive thoughts about our behavior. It is cruel to graders attack us if we try.

Actually I don't like to streamline me either to hear. With a little effort might I be able to convince that red x's there me not. That would be even better. Again my tests and I I's only each x I'm better now.

Yup, every week I receive great feedback I'm doing. With (and a spirit loose enough to tolerate it) I can get the power of rationalization, where if I a 70 on a test I it as really a include 80 or 85. Or even better. Through a combination of WinCE-proofing practices I can get, where I think I'm scoring 100%.

Between withheld, deflected and ignored negative feedback I can convince me that my record is spotless. And I have not even to study. I follow my gut. My test results show that it always knows what is right.

I earn credibility, status and makes? You bet. According to my calculations, 100% is the highest score possible, and that's what I keep getting. I see other me always much lower values. Do not attempt or you are just stupid. You earn my help. Actually, it would be more convenient if I simply took over my life for you. Test how biased grader over there. He needs my help. Who keeps people moaning in fact that of who knows what some whiny gibberish about someone offend me and hurt. What do you know? I tell you, if you stop soon, I'll give 'em what you earn. These people, you are not just stupid you evil are. I'd better straighten out. The world don't have time for losers.

You get the picture.

For local, national and international security, give and take a little feedback. Our future depends on it.

Here is a great New York essay on the role of universities in the imposition of a little sobering feedback.

I'm an out-of-the closet theorist in anti-theory society. I am an evolutionary Epistemologists, i.e. researchers and teachers focused on the ways we generalize that where you theorize conclusions from inconclusive data, with the interpretation of evidence, shopping, and abstractions if we it or do not know. I look at how we do these things and how we could make it better.

I have worked in companies, non-profit organizations and academics. Mine is in evolutionary epistemology and I have a Masters degree in public policy. I have written several e-books, including "negotiate with yourself and win!" Doubt think management for people who can hear, "and" Executive UFO: A field guide to unidentified flying targets in the workplace. "I have taught psychology, sociology, history, theology, philosophy and English college level." I am currently a research staff with Berkeley professor Terrence Deacon what has called emergence theory: how life arises from non-life and how things change when it does.

Spiritually, I am a Taowinist, a cross between Tao and Darwin, which means, I think of life as difficult with open-ended tension between on hold and release. The path to live well by search for something eternal to on to keep or all release some spiritualists suggest, but in the Administration and the tension, mainly through the arts and Sciences to appreciate. Philosophical and interpersonal, I am a Ambigamist: deeply romantic and deeply skeptical.

I am working on a few new books: "doubt: A user's Guide," "purpose: A natural history", "the problem with people: steps toward an objective definition of Butthead (not only someone, with which you heads butt)" and "zoom meditation: the art of multi level reason."

I jazz bass to play and sing. My large persistent drivers seem to be assiduous intellectual investigation, real social change and good company status, bottomless introspection, competition. I love good society.

Article Source:http://EzineArticles.com/?expert

View the Original article

No comments:

Post a Comment